I made these bird pictures for my recently renovated spare bedroom. I really like how they turned out. Didn’t cost me anything other than the pictures which I think I paid about $3.00 total. Will include more of this bedroom re-do in future. It turned out even better than I thought.
I purchased these pictures because the mats were perfectly white and the frames were great. Then I cut out bird shapes from metallic wallpaper (a wallpaper book I picked up years ago) and some glittered scrapbook paper. The legs and talons are drawn with black magic marker. When completed, they were put back in the frames. The bedroom you are looking at is evolving. I love how it’s turning out. Everything is an antique or from thrift shops except for wonderful blue medallion above the bed. I wrote captions for the pictures but they’re not showing up in the preview so I included the description of the project just in case.
I have some more plans for this room. Maybe paint the bed black. The chest next to the bed needs a new coat of paint. Think it will be white. Also, the drapes are not white enough for me so will keep my eyes open for different ones. As the ceilings are higher than normal and the rods are almost at the ceiling, that presents a problem. I could always buy fabric but it’s going to be have to be really cheap because I will need at least ten yards. Till then, I’m going to have to be happy with these.
original picture. Turned it over and used the backside for the
Metaliic wallpaper cut into shapes
Added wings with “sharpie”
I’m taking a few days off from posting anything serious. Instead I’m going to post some of my paintings. I’m not doing this to garner any compliments. I’ve been working with my Picasa photo editing and this is my trial run before I start to publish my DIY projects. I will include a description of what medium I used for each picture.
This picture is a mix acrylics, collage (the vases), and much overlaying of paint and scrubbing off. It’s my favorite kind of painting. Messy, lots and lots of layers. This picture is on watercolor paper and measures about 12 x 16.
This is a little ATC (artist trading card). It’s a blend of watercolors and collage. I haven’t traded many atc’s for a while now. As I’ve said, I’m on a steep learning curve with this blog and it has taken up much of my free time.
This is one my favorite little ATC’s. It was originally framed with a huge mat in a big frame. I loved the look of tinyt picture in a big fram. Very arty. Made my little bird look so important. This is all watercolor.
Another little card. This was so much fun. It is a powder based drywall concoction I had lying around. I just shmeared it all over my little card. I dropped inks from a dropper on various sections and then tilted the paper. I had no idea it would turn out so good. I would love to try this on a big sheet of paper sometime.
This is a larger watercolor-about 20 x 24. It is NOT an original picture. I copied it from an art book catalog. It is watercolor only.
This is watercolor on watercolor paper. It is about 30″ X 20″. I was just playing around so I didn’t use good watercolor paper. (I never think my pictures are going to turn out good. Hmmmmm.)
This last picture is, again, not an original. I saw a picture of this woman in a magazine and copied it. (I don’t mean I traced it. I’ve never traced anything, although it is an accepted way to learn to draw.) It is about 5 x 7 and is watercolor paint on Arches watercolor paper.
(By the way, I had not idea I could paint until I tried. It helped me a great deal in overcoming depression. Creative endeavors of any type do.)